Abel was a keeper of sheep, Cain a tiller of the ground. That is, the first was a nomad and the second a sedentary. The quarrel of Cain and Abel has gone on from generation to generation, from the beginning of time down to our own day, as the atavistic opposition between nomads and sedentaries, or more exactly as the persistent persecution of the first by the second. And this hatred is far from extinct. It survives in the infamous and degrading regulations imposed on the gypsies, treated as if they were criminals, and flaunts itself on the outskirts of villages with the sign telling them to ‘move on.’
The Ogre, Michael Tournier

Hacer 'clic' aquí para ver lo arriba en español

Saturday, July 9, 2011

romance sonámbulo :: english

translated text  // texto traducido
copyright // derechos de autor :: b. a. lederle
_
Translator’s preface:  Romance sonámbulo could quite possibly be Lorca’s most quoted poem from the ballad and it’s easy to see why.  Deep within the text there’s a subtle pulse occurring - a pulse I likened to the beat of a heart.  I imagined a young man who sees his first love and feel his heart beating in his chest for, what seems like, the first time ever.  It is with this that I translated Sleepwalker’s Ballad.  I wanted to keep Lorca’s almost Shakespearean flow and, for the most part, stayed with a word for word translation, allowing for some leniency to make up for some of the discrepancy in certain areas that, when translated word for word, just didn’t “sound” right.  I hope you enjoy this true work of art.  Also, at the end I included a video from 1985 of two artists putting some of the poem’s words to music - mind the wardrobe, but not the beautiful nature of the song.
_

Green, oh how I want you green
Green wind.  Green branches.
The boat out on the sea
and the horse in the mountain.
                       With the shade on the waist                     5
she sleeps in her balcony.
Green flesh, green hair
with eyes of cold silver.
Green, oh how I want you green
                            Below the gypsy moon                       10
things are looking at her
and she cannot look at them.

Green, oh how I want you green
Great frosty stars in the sky
                         come with the shadow fish                     15
that opens the path of dawn
The fig tree rubs against the wind
with the sandpaper of its branches
and the mountain, like a cunning cat,
                      stiffens its bristles and brambles               20
But who will come?  And from where?
She continues in her balcony
Green flesh, green hair
dreaming in the sour sea

                            Friend, I want to change                    25
My horse for your home
My saddle for your mirror
My pocketknife for your blanket
Friend, I come bleeding
                           from the gates of Cabraº                    30

If I could, young one,
This deal would close.
But now I am not myself
neither is my house my home

                             Friend, I want to die                        35
decently in my bed.
Like steel - no pain - if it can be,
with the Dutch sheets.

Don’t you see the wound that I have
                      from the chest to the throat?                40

Three hundred brown roses
take over your white shirt
Your blood oozes and smells
around your girdle
                       But now I am not myself                   45
neither is my house my home

Let me rise at least
towards the high balconies
Le me rise! Let me rise
                      toward the high balconies                50
Handrails of the moon
for where the water resounds.

Two friends are already heading
toward the high balconies.
                       Leaving a trail of blood                  55
Leaving a trail of tears.
Trembling in the brickwork
Chinese lanterns made of tine.
A thousand tambourines of crystal
                        pierced the midnight.                   60

Green, I want you green
Green wind, green branches
The two friends climbed up.
The long wind, left
                    in the mouth a rare taste                  65
of bile, of mint and of basil

Friend! Tell me, where are you?
Where is your spoiled girl?

How many times I waited for you!
           How many more I waited for you...      70
Fresh face, black hair
in this green balcony.

Above the face of  the well
swayed the gypsy
                     green flesh, green hair               75
with eyes of cold silver
An icicle of the moon
supports her above the water
The night becomes intimate
                       like a small plaza                    80
The Guardia Civil stumble drunk
in the doorway throwing drunken punches.

Green, I want you green
Green wind, green branches
                 The ship above the water              85
And the horse in the mountain.  


ºA village southeast of Córdoba, Spain

_

No comments:

Post a Comment