Abel was a keeper of sheep, Cain a tiller of the ground. That is, the first was a nomad and the second a sedentary. The quarrel of Cain and Abel has gone on from generation to generation, from the beginning of time down to our own day, as the atavistic opposition between nomads and sedentaries, or more exactly as the persistent persecution of the first by the second. And this hatred is far from extinct. It survives in the infamous and degrading regulations imposed on the gypsies, treated as if they were criminals, and flaunts itself on the outskirts of villages with the sign telling them to ‘move on.’
The Ogre, Michael Tournier

Hacer 'clic' aquí para ver lo arriba en español

Saturday, July 9, 2011

la casada infiel :: english

translated text  // texto traducido
copyright // derechos de autor :: b. a. lederle
_

Translator’s preface:  It’s pretty clear what La casada infiel is about, at least on the surface.  And simply put, it was an easy translation.  In fact, perhaps because the elements of passion and sex are very universal, this made it easier to translate words from their original Spanish to their English relatives.  In terms of style, I simply kept with the sexual tension and carefree tone felt from the source text as I translated.  No doubt that both the source text and the translated text leave much to the imagination.

_

And I took her toward the river,
believing that she was untouched,
but she had a husband.

It was the night of the Festival of Santiago
                                    and because they felt obligated,                                5
they put out the lanterns,
and the crickets ignited in the night.

In the farthest corners,
I touched her sleeping breasts
                            and they opened up to me immediately                      10
like bunches of hyacinth.

The starch of her skirt,
resounded in my ears,
like a piece of silk
                                     ripped up by ten knives.                                   15

Without the silver light in their branches
the trees had grown enormous
and a horizon of dogs
were barking far from the river
                                 Past the blackberry thistles,                               20
past the rushes and hawthorns,
under her mane of hair
I made an indent in the earth.

I took off my tie
                                             She her dress                                        25
Off went my holster
Off went her corset and bodice

Neither flowers nor shells
have skin so soft;
                               neither do crystals gleaming                             30
with brilliant moonlight.
Her muscles escaped me
like startled fish,
half full of fire,
                                   the other shivering cold.                             35

That night I ran
the best of the paths,
mounted without stirrups or saddle
on the best horse of them all.

                          And I don’t want to say to any man                   40
the things that she said to me.
Mutual understanding
makes me be very restrained.

Dirty from kisses and sand
                           I took her myself from the river.                     45
The blades of the irises
battled with the wind.

I behaved like who I really am.
Like a genuine gypsy.
                                I gave her a sewing kit,                             50
large, made from straw-colored satin
and I didn’t want to fall in love
because having a husband
she told me that she was untouched
                               when I took her to the river.                       55

No comments:

Post a Comment